Gasparilla Fried Chicken
This easy, spicy fried chicken recipe uses no buttermilk (because who ever has buttermilk on hand, anyway?) It comes to us courtesy of Chef Carlos Addarich of the Tampa Yacht & Country Club, where's it's a staple of the club's annual Gasparilla festival brunch. Ahoy!
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
chicken parts: 4 drumsticks, 4 thighs, 4 breasts, 4 wings
- 1/2 gallon canola oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk powder
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- In large mixing bowl, mix the olive oil with all the spices inlcuding the salt and pepper; dissolve the spices thoroughly.
- Toss in the chicken parts with the marinade, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- The next day, in a deep-frying pan, warm up the canola oil to about 325 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, milk powder and cornmeal; season lightly with Cajun seasoning.
- Drain the chicken parts and toss with the flour mixture. Shake excess flour off the chicken and deep fry for 25 minutes, or until the chicken breasts reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.