Roselle Hibiscus “Cranberry” Sauce
Old-timers in Florida used the red roselle hibiscus as an alernative to cranberries.
- 5 cups chopped roselle calyces (seedpods removed)
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1-1½ cups sugar
- zest of 2 oranges
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes.
- Taste and add more sugar if needed.
- Once the roselle calyces are very tender, turn off the heat and allow the sauce to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a glass jar or serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.