This hearty salad has a perfect combination of ingredients and is arguably one of the best summertime salads ever. Traditionally made with potatoes, haricots vert, tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, Niçoise olives, and tuna, you can add grilled chicken, seared salmon, mixed greens, cucumbers, radishes, or extra pickled-briny goodies. It’s so versatile as a side dish, complete meal, composed salad, or as a tossed salad. Plus, you can prep and cook all of the ingredients way ahead of time!
Nicoise Salad with Clementine Herbes de Provence Vinaigrette and Pickled Red Onions
- 1 lb red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- 12 ounces haricots vert or small green beans, trimmed
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp finely diced shallot
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried Herbes de Provence
- 1 clementine, tangerine, or navel orange, zested
- ½ cup fresh clementine, tangerine, or navel orange juice
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup Nicoise olives or pitted kalamata olives
- ½ cup Maille brand French gherkins or sweet gherkins
- Kosher or sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Add potatoes to a medium saucepan, cover with cold water, and season with salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and until fork-tender, about 5-6 minutes. Drain and transfer to a medium bowl. Reserve the saucepan for eggs.
- Next, bring a separate saucepan of salted water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Add the haricots verts to the boiling water and cook until crisp but tender, 3-4 minutes. Drain and put into the ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry.
- Place the eggs in the reserved saucepan and cover with cold water about 1 inch over the eggs. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then cover. Remove from the heat and let stand for about 10 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Peel under cold running water.
- To make the dressing, combine vinegar, oil, zest, citrus juice, shallots, Herbes de Provence, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a Mason jar. Cover and shake until emulsified.
- Season tomatoes with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of dressing to the potatoes and toss. Quarter the hard-cooked eggs.