Fresh Coconut Ice Cream
Make good use of your coconut palms by grating the fresh coconuts for this summery ice cream.
- ice cream maker
- 2 13.5 oz cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- toasted coconut to garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine the coconut milk, cream and sugar. Heat and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before churning.
- Add the mixture to your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Mix until you reach the desired consistency.
- Add the freshly grated coconut once the mixture thickens and is ready to be transferred to a freezer container.
- Freeze until ready to serve, at last 1 hour. Garnish with toasted coconut upon serving.
To toast coconut:
- In a small skillet over low heat, melt a small amount of butter (about a teaspoon per cup of grated coconut).
- Once melted, add coconut and stir to coat. Allow to toast (be patient), stirring occastionally. Be careful not to burn the coconut.
- Once toasted, spread out on paper towels to cool. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Check out more of Ellen’s recipes at familyaroundthetable.com.